We believe in sustainability when it comes to the ingredients we use, our packaging, and our practices, but perhaps most importantly, we believe in quality of life for our employees. We want our employees to be able to afford their basic needs including rent and healthcare and as such, we are Durham Living Wage Project Certified. You can read more about the Durham Living Wage Project and the number of Durham businesses who have committed to this project on their website: www.durhamlivingwage.org
Now Hiring For Full Time & Part Time Positions
We are only accepting applications in person, no phone calls or emails please. We’re happy to answer any questions you may have during the hiring events!
Please read the below description, print and fill out our application (CLICK HERE FOR APPLICATION) and bring it to one of our hiring events:
Maureen Joy Charter School, 107 South Driver Street, Durham, NC
Saturday, November 4th from 2pm-4pm -OR- Wednesday, November 8th from 6pm-8pm
- Working with a team to perform daily baking tasks including making dough, mixing fillings, rolling dough, forming, crimping, portioning, baking
- Cleaning, taking out garbage, clearing tables and washing dishes- all of our team members take equal part in the tasks that make our shop a clean, safe, and inviting space for customers and staff alike
- Customer service - we’re looking for people who are excited to learn more about the people who walk through our doors, and offer kindness to help us build a welcoming community space
- Brewing and preparing a variety of beverages including drip coffee, espresso beverages and teas
- Regular communication and check-ins with other team members and management including consistent record keeping
- Participation in ongoing training and team meetings
- Professional baking experience is NOT required, but food service experience is preferred. Strong customer service skills, positivity and a desire to learn are essential.
- Must be able to stand for the duration of a shift and lift 50lbs.
- Cash handling skills and baking math- you must be able to do quick basic math as it pertains to both transactions and baking.
- Availability very early mornings, and weekends.
- Attention to detail, quality and efficiency in all aspects of work. We make all of our baked goods by hand, from scratch, the long way. Efficiency and speed are of the utmost importance, but not to the detriment of the quality of our products. The same goes with customer service - our goal is to serve everyone who walks in the door quickly and efficiently, but not at the cost of kindness and making our guests feel welcome.
- Ability to multitask- Every member of staff contributes meaningfully and equally to our success. Every person we hire is trained in all aspects of day-to-day shop operations (baking and production, our coffee program, plating, cash handling, customer service, dishwashing, bussing, cleaning, etc.) with the idea that staff members will cycle through various roles and responsibilities with regularity throughout the day and week. This means you must be willing to get your hands dirty. Everyone will be expected to clean, bake, make drinks and interact with guests as they walk through the doors. While baking and production is the underlying rhythm of our day, our first concern is that as our guests enter they are made to feel welcome, and are prioritized above all else.
- Creativity and flexibility- We’re looking for people who are excited to be a part of a new business. We know that even as the years pass we will constantly be learning and adapting. We want team members who are excited to help us find creative ways to tweak, polish, grow the business, and find new ways to be more efficient.
- Collaboration and positivity- you must be able to give and receive constructive feedback, work together to problem-solve and keep open lines of communication with other team members at all times. We are a small team and we’re committed to creating an environment where we support and encourage one another. Our hope is that every one of our team members ends the day with a feeling of collective success and accomplishment.
- Availability around the holidays- We do our highest volume of baking during the holidays, especially Thanksgiving, December holidays, Valentine’s Day and Pi Day (March 14th). We do close the shop for two weeks (one in January and one in August) to give our team members a set time to travel and recharge.
We offer competitive pay, paid time off and are a Durham Living Wage Certified Employer.